Find answers to your burning questions about the Kinkonauts about these topics!
Seeing Kinkonauts Shows
What can I expect at an improv show?
Improv is spontaneous, unscripted theatre – meaning we write, direct and perform a show simultaneously, right before your eyes!
An improv show will have some kind of format or structured, but the content is entirely unique, never to be performed again. It’s about discovering the scene in the moment – when the players and audience find unexpected connections and joy.
When people ask if it was scripted or planned (answer: none of it) – it’s the highest compliment and we know we made improv magic!
How much does the audience participate?
Most shows will ask the audience for one suggestion at the start of the show. Examples are: a simple word, the title of a never-before-written play, or something you did that day. The suggestion gives our improvisers a starting point to inspire their show. The actors might build the whole show around the suggestion, but often will also “follow the rabbit hole” to new ideas it inspires.
A small number of our shows have more audience interaction, like inviting someone onstage. Your participation is 100% voluntary – meaning we will never pick on you or drag you on stage! That’s just not how we roll. We want the shows to be fun for you.
Can I bring my kid to your shows / Are Kinkonauts shows age appropriate?
The short answer is: it depends on your comfort as a parent/guardian! Our shows are completely improvised and the unexpected can happen, so viewer discretion is advised.
Some of our shows try to stay PG-13, but other shows regularly venture into “HBO” territory, including adult language, mature subject matter, sexuality, simulated violence, etc. Unless a show is advertised as kid- or family-friendly, we don’t make any guarantees about content.
Everyone’s parenting style is different – we don’t profess to be the jury on what’s appropriate for different kids. If you are OK with the above disclaimers, then you are welcome to bring your kids to our shows!
Do you offer any discounts on tickets?
We try to keep our base ticket prices affordable and accessible for everyone. We do offer a few additional ticket discounts for bulk purchases or certain groups:
- Fridays: use the code FRIDAY4SOME if buying exactly 4 tickets in your online cart to a Friday show to get $1 off per ticket. Valid online only.
- Saturdays: use the code SATURDAY6PACK if you have exactly 6 tickets in your online cart to a Saturday show to get $2 off per ticket (6 tickets for the price of 5). Valid online only.
- Students of high school, university or our Calgary Improv School classes can get 2-for-1 tickets at the door, subject to availability. Must present valid Student ID or Calgary Improv School card.
- Friends of CJSW cardholders can get 2-for-1 tickets at the door, subject to availability. Must present CJSW card.
- Inglewood-Ramsay residents can get 2-for-1 tickets at the door, subject to availability. Must present Inglewood-Ramsay resident card.
All of the above discounts are valid for regular season shows only – not valid for festivals, special events, fundraisers or bonus shows.
I’m interested in trying improv. How do I start?
First of all, that’s awesome and so are you! We might be biased, but we think everyone should try improv! It’s an incredibly welcoming and supportive craft.
- We suggest starting with one of our introductory classes designed for complete beginners to explore the foundations in a supportive environment!
- You can also come to Accelerator, our drop-in workshop – an all-levels class offered (almost) every Saturday. Accelerator is a fun way to meet different improvisers in the community.
- And if you haven’t seen a show, we definitely recommend that, too! If you have any more questions, send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does someone become a Kinkonaut?
Kinkonauts performers are the ensemble players you see in our Friday and Saturday shows and troupes. Most of the current cast came up through our classes and either:
- Were invited into the company or onto an existing troupe, or
- Auditioned into our Conservatory class. From Conservatory, they may be cast onto house teams/troupes
For new folks, auditioning into Conservatory is the pathway to joining the company. Read more about our Auditions which take place in September each year.
Our auditions run primarily by word of mouth, or by invitation/recommendation. That’s why we highly recommend getting involved with our community ahead of time. We’re highly relationship-based: get to know us and let us get to know you! Our Calgary Improv School classes and Drop-In Class are great ways to get a foot in the door. Be sure to follow us on Facebook as well.
Are there other ways to get stage time? What if I’m really experienced?
If you’re in a Calgary Improv School class, you will get a class showcase opportunity! Hooray!
Otherwise, more informal opportunities come up if you are an active member of our community. See shows, meet people, take classes, be a regular at Drop-in. Get to know us, and let us get to know you! Unless we know you and your work, you won’t be able to walk off the street into one of our main stage shows.
Word of mouth within the community is the main way to hear about show opportunities and upcoming auditions. (In other words, we don’t always publicly advertise those things!) Build relationships with members to hear about what’s going on.
For example: you can form a troupe with other community members (such as Accelerator or Improv School alumni). If your team puts effort into practicing and makes a good impression, you may be given a spot in a Friday Launch Pad or class showcase – as several community teams currently do.
And lastly, some folks who show up a lot and truly shine may be invited to audition (or directly into Conservatory) by the recommendation of a Kinkonauts leader or teacher.
Partnering with the Kinkonauts
Will the Kinkonauts partner with my organization?
We work with dozens of community and corporate organizations throughout the year for hosting, performing, workshops, training, custom shows and other special projects! We’d love to hear what you have in mind. Reach out to us with your idea at email@example.com.
Are the Kinkonauts looking for sponsors?
Yes, definitely! And our team of talented performers will sing your praises to the rooftops!
We actively seek sponsors for our two large events: the 26-Hour Improv Marathon and Reactor Improv Festival, and other occasions throughout the year. We also love in-kind arrangements for food & drink, print services, and more.
If you’re interested in any of the above contact firstname.lastname@example.org.