Friday, March 13, 2020
It is with precaution and disappointment that the Board will be cancelling all Kinkonauts activities for the remainder of the season (through April 30, 2020) effective today.
Thursday afternoon, Alberta Health Services (AHS) implemented restrictions on public gatherings, that impacts events with international guests as well as events needing to have social distancing and other health risk mitigations in place.
These criteria put us too close to the mark, with Reactor Improv Festival having international guests, and our theatre & classrooms that we believe do not offer sufficient space for distancing. While it might seem like a grey area, to us it is not. We believe this is the most responsible course of action. We do not want to put our community at risk or be part of the problem when it comes to spreading the virus. Improv is a place of joy and we want to keep it that way.
We deeply value the safety, health and mental wellbeing of all our performers, students and audience – and it’s with their wellbeing in mind that we have come to this decision. This decision was not made lightly, and was made with thorough consideration for what is happening abroad, at our peer improv companies, the concerns of our community members, and the most recent guidance from AHS.
Nuts & Bolts
This cancellation includes:
- All classes through April 30 including Drop-In are cancelled effective immediately
- Students will receive a refund prorated according to the classes missed
- Classes taking place after April 30 will be re-evaluated in mid-April
- Shows & Reactor
- All shows, jams, and class showcases are cancelled
- All Reactor shows are cancelled
- Any tickets that have been sold will be refunded
- Rehearsals or meetings in our space
- We cannot guarantee sterilization of surfaces to remove virus germs
We will be communicating to all performers, students, and people who have purchased show tickets over the next few days. Your patience is appreciated as our volunteer team works through the process.
The Kinkonauts Board
Jason Lewis, Jess Lindal, Sara Simpson, Nicole Zylstra